A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Seedlings: week 4.5

It's hard to maintain weekly updates!

12 and 14 May:

Started hardening off plants on the deck.  Since I usually come home around 3pm, they get about an hour of sunlight before the house shadow catches up to them.  The past few days have been windy, too.  One day, it was so windy I didn't dare put them outside.  Those winds tore branches off trees.

 
Above: this zucchini plant started getting disgusting white fuzz around the edges.  (The white stuff on the top is baking soda.)  I ended up cutting the edges off and chucking them out.  Eww.

Above:  It's been weeks since I've sown any zucchini seeds and I'm still getting a few seedlings spring up for the first time!  Strange!

Above: my zucchinis :)

 
Above Left:  Basil seedling doing well
Above Right:  Purple coneflower seedling with true leaf.  Yes, yes, it almost looks like something else.   

 
Above Left:  I planted some peas, these are snow peas, but I've also planted Sugar Snap.  They haven't come up yet.
Above Right:  Broccoli seedling, just beginning to develop true leaf.


Above:  The broccoli have suffered the worst from what I can only assume is damping off (fungus).  I've been watering them with garlic-water to fight it off.  I hope it works!  The white fuzzies are seeds carried on the wind.

Above:  At least the tomatoes don't seem bothered.  This is a "sweet cherry hybrid" cherry tomato.  I love how compactly it's growing!  (However its friend nextdoor is extremely lanky!)


No comments:

Post a Comment